I made some lunch for our daughter to gobble up when she comes home from preschool today. It sure is the perfect size for us both~ bite size for her, & great portion control for me (these are addicting I ate 3 while waiting for them to cool~
The funny thing is that I happened to find this recipe on another fashion blog, one of my faves~ out of all places! I knew I HAD to try it, you should too!
- 2 cups uncooked elbow macaroni
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups shredded sharp Cheddar cheese
- 1 1/2 cups shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/2 cup seasoned dry bread crumbs ( I use my favorite garlic bread and toast it really well, then crumble it to pieces! It adds more oomph and kick to it~ try it!)
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Grease a muffin tin with nonstick cooking spray. In a small bowl, stir together the bread crumbs, olive oil and salt; set aside.
- Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Add the macaroni and cook for about 8 minutes, it should still be a little bit firm. Remove from the heat, drain and return to the pan; stir in the butter and egg until pasta is evenly coated. Reserve 1/2 cup of sharp Cheddar cheese and stir the remaining Cheddar cheese, milk and mozzarella cheese into the pasta. Spoon into the prepared muffin tin. Sprinkle the reserved cheese and the bread crumb mixture over the tops.
- Bake for 30 minutes in the preheated oven, or until the topping is nicely browned. Allow the muffins to cool for a few minutes before removing from the pan. This will allow the cheese to set and they will hold their muffin shape.